Hollywood is the place every young actor and actress wants to be!
Tourists from all over the world who want to see the luxurious life of celebrities, visit Hollywood.
If you are one of them, then you must see these facts:
- In the central region of Los Angeles, California, you will find a neighborhood called Hollywood.
- Hollywood is notable as the home of the U.S. film industry.
- H. J. Whitley, also known as the “Father of Hollywood”, was a real estate who helped create Hollywood. He had an epiphany and the name came from the words ”Holly” which would represent England and “wood” would represent his Scottish heritage.
- Hollywood was incorporated as a municipality on November 14, 1903, by a vote of 88 for and 77 against.
- The voters in Hollywood decided on January 30, 1904, by a vote of 113 to 96, for the banishment of liquor in the city.
- Director D. W. Griffith was the first to make a motion picture in Hollywood. His 17-minute short film In Old California (1910) was filmed for the Biograph Company.
- In October 1911, the first studio in Hollywood, the Nestor Company, was established by the New Jersey–based Centaur Company in a roadhouse at 6121 Sunset Boulevard.
- In the 1920s, Hollywood was the fifth-largest industry in the nation and four major film companies – Paramount, Warner Bros., RKO, and Columbia – had studios in Hollywood.
- The first sign that was created spelled ”HOLLYWOODLAND” in 1923.
- In 1949, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce entered a contract with the City of Los Angeles to repair and rebuild the sign. The agreement stipulated that “LAND” be removed to spell “HOLLYWOOD” so the sign would now refer to the district.
- The Academy Awards are held in late February/early March (since 2004) of each year, honoring the preceding year in film. They are held at their new home at the Dolby (formerly Kodak) Theater at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue.
- The Hollywood Sign on Mount Lee is not actually in Hollywood but is instead to the north in the Hollywood Hills.
- The Hollywood sign became a historical landmark in 1973.
- You will find the famous ”Hollywood stars” on Hollywood Boulevard and three blocks of Vine Street in Hollywood.
- Some fans show respect for star recipients both living and dead by laying flowers or other symbolic tributes at their stars.
- The stars are permanent public monuments to achievement in the entertainment industry.
- The Hollywood stars are a very popular destination for tourists. In 2003 it was reported that 10 million visitors visited.
- You will find more than 2,600 stars.