You’ve probably familiar with some of the madness surrounding Black Friday. Well it’s actually a little crazier than you may think! Black Friday is the start of the biggest shopping weekend of the entire year, it’s full of amazing deals, cheap TV’s and people who literally act crazy and sometimes end up dead! Check out some crazy facts and some insane cases of people losing their lives for Black Friday offers…
1. In 2012 a Texas pair got arrested for murdering an employee on Black Friday.
2. The first person to die on a Black Friday was an employee at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in a stampede. That happened in 2008.
3. The term Black Friday was originally used for stock market crashes. The term was used for the first time on 24 September 1869 when James Fisk and Jay Gould were trying to corner the gold market on the NYSE. However, the government stepped in and flooded the market with gold, causing prices to fall and many investors to lose their fortunes.
4. Black Friday is the busiest day of the year for plumbers. As bizarre as this may sound, it was reported by CNN who explain that the plumbers are needed to clean up after guests overwhelm the system.
5. In 2012, after an intense day of Black Friday shopping, a family were on their way home when the father, being that exhausted, fell asleep on the wheel and crashed resulting in the death of both of his daughters.
6. Black Friday was once called Big Friday.
7. The last death to occur on a Black Friday, happened in 2016 when a man who was helping a woman that was under attack, was shot dead.
8. To this day, 105 people have been injured on Black Friday.
9. In 2011, Walmart broke the tradition of Black Friday. The tradition of Black Friday shopping was broken when Wallmart opened up their store on the evening of Thanksgiving. Since that time, the retailers are engaged in a race against the clock to catch up with the times. These days, 33 million Americans plan to run out shopping as soon as they finish their Thanksgiving feast. This is known as Grey Thursday.
10. Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts at the Colony Square Mall was shut down on Black Friday in 2010 after a suicide on company grounds. According to Det. Sgt. Ric Roush with the Zanesville Police Department around 8:15 in the morning Friday a 54-year-old woman died from what appears to be a self-inflicted gun shot wound in the business.